Sunday greetings! Hope you had a relaxing holiday and a few days off with some combination of shopping, eating turkey leftovers, and watching tv. Here are a few of my favorite things from this year’s Thanksgiving feast–the first year I cooked and we hosted the holiday at our home.
(1) I loved the hand-sewn placecards that greeted each guest at our table and that everyone took home. See more of them here.
(2) This recipe for pumpkin pie with homemade crust made the best pumpkin pie I’ve ever had. It was pretty gorgeous too. I also made some fresh whipped cream to go with it and fixed the pie a day ahead. The leftovers were divine.
The dessert bar…
(2) Friends and family made the occasion extra special.
(3) I used Martha Stewart’s brining recipe for our 22 lb bird. It was ultra moist and delicious and something I will certainly do again. We also cooked the turkey breast down for the first two hours in the oven, which may have helped too. That’s my brother-in-law wearing Judah’s miniature superhero apron while carving the turkey. Note to self: buy an apron.
(4) My two favorite additions to the meal this year included a curry carrot soup that I made topped with chopped pistachios and a latke bar that offered dill, caviar, creme fraiche, and smoked salmon. To me, the latkes screamed over-indulgence, my favorite thing about Thanksgiving. Who doesn’t love a good latke?
And, finally, a group photo…