Holiday Crafting and Cookie Exchange

holidayparty5 1024x680 Holiday Crafting and Cookie ExchangeGreetings!  We’re a few days away from our New York trip for our annual Christmas Eve dinner at Patsy’s and associated festivities.  My son Judah (who’s 2) was teeming with excitement as we strolled him down the bustling New York streets last Christmas, so I can’t wait to see his unfettered enthusiasm this year when we visit the holiday trains at the NYC Botanical gardens, see the FAO Schwartz real life toy soldiers open the store, buy a $1 picture with Elmo and Cookie Monster in Times Square, and, of course, absorb the tree, window displays, and ice skaters at Rockefeller Plaza.  We’re also visiting friends and family while we’re there–and, even though I get to New York quite a bit, none of the trips compare to this yearly family event.

Before we leave, though, I wanted to share a few photos from my holiday crafting party last weekend because, as I tell my husband, this blog doesn’t write itself.  In lieu of a full scale holiday party, I invited a few ladies over for a cookie exchange and to have some fun working on this holiday craft.  It gave me a fantastic excuse to not only visit with friends, but also create a proper occasion to serve spiked egg nog (the soy version, of course).

holidayparty2 1024x680 Holiday Crafting and Cookie Exchange

A week or so before the party, I made these darling drink stirrers using letter stamps and embossing powders.  Because my party spread consisted almost entirely of cookies,  I created a festive, seasonal drink bar (hot chocolate, apple cider, and egg nog) with various inspired accessories.  The accompaniments included shaved chocolate, sugar varieties, crushed peppermint, cinnamon sticks,

holidayparty1

homemade whipped cream,

holidayparty4

homemade marshmallows (thank you Sur la Table),

holidayparty3

and 2 edible drink stirrers (rock candy and peppermint sticks).  I spray painted these walnuts gold for my Winter Tablescape last year.  (I’m still completely enamored with last year’s gold lace fabric!)  I added the walnuts to the drink accompaniments to satisfy my gold/glitter factor, as well as regular peppermint sticks and cinnamon sticks to round out the plates.

holidayparty6Here’s the set-up for my art room before the girls arrived and the crafting fun began. holidayparty7And a few string ornaments after they were complete and in the process of drying.  The upside/downside of hosting a cookie exchange is that you, the host, are the one left with all the excess cookies, which, in my case, turned out to be just over 4 dozen.

Of course, I didn’t mind.

Happiest of Happy Holidays!!

xx

Facebook Share|Tweet Post|Pin Post|Email Post|Link Post
December 23, 2013 - 4:45 am

Veronica - I would have loved to join that craft party. It all looks so great

December 23, 2013 - 5:56 am

Yvonne Brown - I love your pictures and ideas! I just made a batch of sugar cookies and put them in the fridge to make them tomorrow. Enjoy the holidays!!

YVonne B.

December 23, 2013 - 1:00 pm

Corrine 'Estena' Thomas - I love your blog. This is really great work–you are very talented and creative. Yummy!! I am definitely going to try this or ask for your guidance one day. I write too so maybe we can connect one day!!

December 23, 2013 - 1:30 pm

Terry - I don’t follow the vegan lifestyle but love your home-made marshmallows and awesome decorations. Your pictures are delightful !!

December 23, 2013 - 2:31 pm

kungphoo - Great ideas.. my daughter is so into this kind of things! Happy Holidays to you and your fmaily! Oh and Patsy’s (very famous pizza here in NY!) is opening a store not more than 2 miles from me, i cannot wait!

December 23, 2013 - 2:49 pm

Eng Tinkham - This is a really nice idea that I have never heard of before. I so love the Chocolate Shavings!

December 23, 2013 - 3:28 pm

Caitlin Nicke - Wow! Such Great crafting ideas! Cant wait to try them! Have a wonderful holiday! :)

December 23, 2013 - 4:43 pm

Casey Gardner - Those are really good pictures. Looked like a fun party!

December 23, 2013 - 6:39 pm

Marjory Johnson - What great festive ideas! Enjoyed looking at your pictures.

December 23, 2013 - 6:50 pm

Jeff Brand - Showed this to my wife and she really liked this and your pics too. She wants to do this next year since we are doing more of this than gift giving.

December 23, 2013 - 9:53 pm

Meli - Lovely photos! As a New Yorker I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying the Holiday Season many times. My favorite is going to “the city” the night before Thanksgiving to watch them blow up the balloons, etc for the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Have a wonderful trip!

December 23, 2013 - 10:13 pm

danisdecadentdeals - It sounds like you have some fabulous festivities to look forward to in NY!:-) what great holiday ideas you have above! I love the edible stirrers:-)

December 24, 2013 - 1:52 am

ladymarielle - Homemade marshmallows?? YUM!!! Love the decor! Happiest of happy Holidays to you too =)

December 24, 2013 - 2:15 pm

Stephanie Clopton - What a lovely display and idea. Happy Holidays to you!

December 25, 2013 - 1:45 am

Dov Shapira - I really like your art room.
Your kids are very lucky

December 27, 2013 - 9:13 pm

Julie - Your pictures are amazing! You seem to be like an amazing and organized person! So glad that I discovered your blog!

December 29, 2013 - 10:48 pm

Jessica - Thanks for your feedback dear, happy new year!! xx

November 12, 2014 - 7:02 am

Unveiling of HP’s 2 Newest Products: Sprout and 3D Printing (Part II) » fat vegan baby - […] Home Depot last year on sale after Christmas; cinnamon sticks/peppermint sticks/and sugar sticks (from my crafting and cookie exchange party last December), gold sparkly fabric and gold spray-painted chestnuts (used in this winter tablescape a few years […]

Your email is never published or shared.

M o r e   i n f o